MY Type of LESSON PLANS
PPP, as a teacher who is new to TESL, I would be more comfortable
starting out with this approach. It benefits
both the teacher and the learner. How? A new TESL Teacher has the opportunity to learn what is expected of them to teach. Since it is controlled,
preparing for lessons and gathering resources are easier. If new teachers are not
100% confident with grammar, it gives them the opportunity to practice and learn
as they go. As for the learners who may be first time TESL students, it would be
more beneficial to them to learn grammar in a structured and controlled
teacher-centered based learning environment. Why? because they do not know any English and I believe having a structured "controlled" learning environment would be an easier start to learning the foundations of a language. Learners will eventually understand and know what to expect during their learning process. As ELL's move forward in their journey to learning the English language and/or teachers are feeling comfortable teaching grammar, then task-based learning can come into play.
As a teacher becomes more experienced in TESL and the
learners become more comfortable after time spent on PPP grammar lessons, I thought
task-based lesson plans would come into play once learners learned the fundamentals
of grammar through the teacher-centered approach. What I like about the task-based lesson plan is
that it is relevant to the learners needs and encourages autonomous learning. I think it is essential for a learner to learn
how to communicate in real-world conversations, whether it is at a grocery
store, doctors office, school visit, making appointments, how to communicate at
school or at work, etc. It makes life
easier and less stressful if they can communicate effectively for themselves in
all aspects of life.
All in all, I think all these lesson plans are effective
depending on who your audience is and what your goal is in teaching TESL. All the lesson plans that were introduced in
this unit were insightful as to what kind of plans to use for your
audience. I specifically found the above
two mentioned lesson plans to my style of teaching for a beginner and more
experienced TESL teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment