Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Unit 1: 2 Be or Not 2 Be a Subject Matter Expert in Grammar?


  2 Be or NOT 2 Be a Subject Matter Expert in Grammar?
I don't think that teachers need to be or need to teach explicitly detailed grammar but it would help both the teacher and student understand the basics.  I have never taught L2 learners, but I do have experience in teaching the basics of grammar to both youth and adults from previous teaching positions in a traditional classroom and in basic academic and essential skills type programs.   
In the work I do now, working with clients who are seeking employment; my previous work experience in teaching has helped me to explain grammar rules in a brief, simple, and concrete manner.  Just enough for the client to understand or to recall what they have learned in their past experiences in learning grammar.  They seem to get the jest of it as they always reply with a “oh yeah!” (remembered) or “oh okay.” (they understood, they noticed!)   
I am thankful that I had to re-learn and refresh my grammar skills in my past employment as a teacher as this transferable skill helps me to specifically explain grammar in a timely manner so that it does not interrupt the flow of learning too much. I like that I can help clients understand or recall why they need to use proper grammar while writing and the result is a well written resume and a proud and confident client that has gained some grammar knowledge.
While teaching, knowing the basic grammar skills also helps to alleviate the pressure of being put on the spot. Too much time on grammar may get boring and lose interest (depending how motivated students are, and you are as a teacher) But it is important for the teacher to know at least the basics when it arises! Daily grammar warm-ups would help.  If it needs to be explained in more detail through out the learning process then so be it, especially if utterances are not being properly used by many students then make it a quick teachable moment, a little bit of change throughout a lesson can make it memorable! 


No comments:

Post a Comment